Monday, January 11, 2010

I’m going to give you the short version of the past week as I really could go on a rant…

My RE and I spoke last Monday and he wants us to move onto IVF for several reasons. He understands we don’t have IVF insurance and just don’t have the money to afford IVF. He said he would contact his business office to see what they could do about discounting an IVF cycle for us and to call back on Friday to go over the details and to get a prescription for progesterone if AF had not shown up by Friday.

So, I wait all week…I pray and I hope they are able to reduce the cost to something reasonable. My H is getting the largest bonus possible at the end of this month for his December sales and combined with our tax return I hope we are close to the cost and we would then figure out how to get the rest of the money.

I called on Friday. He wasn't in the office due to the weather. (Okay, so I live in Georgia, we hardly have snow but Thursday night we got maybe quarter of an inch combined with ice.) So I have to wait until Monday to speak with my RE.

Fast forward to Saturday afternoon…My H and I have a date night planned of dinner and shopping at the mall to use a couple of gift cards. We stop on our way out and pick up the mail. I open an envelope from my RE’s business office. And I see that it is forms for IVF along with a schedule of fees. I cried. It wasn’t at all what I had in mind. What they consider a discount is a slap in the face.

I was angry. Angry that my doctor allowed them to send out this paperwork and not even speak to me first. Angry that I wasn’t forewarned. Angry that I let me hopes get so high. Angry that even though my RE couldn't come into the office due to the weather that he then didn't know how to pick up the phone. Angry that this is where we are at.

And I am still angry. Angry, sad, mad that IF has taken my happy life and turned it upside down. I hate you IF!


We may be at the end of our TTC road and I honestly don't know what to think.

4 comments:

A n T said...

:hugs: Did the price on the paperwork list the discounted price or the regular price??

Hillary said...

I, too, am at an unknown place in our journey. I have no idea what our next steps will be, and I know it hurts terribly. I am so sorry IVF is so expensive. :( Thinking of you!

TheDales said...

The paperwork had the regular price and the discounted. I understand they can't just give it away but what angered me is I spoke to the business office after our ectopic in July and I was actually quoted $250 less than I was on this paperwork. I guess I was expecting less than that...Maybe I was hoping for a miracle??? I dont know.

I am actually unclear on it all. I really wish they would have waited to send me anything until I spoke with Dr. S. I have yet to receive a returned call from him.

Becca Daws said...

I so understand your feelings! As if the emotional part isn't hard enough, then there is all the financial stuff.

I really hope everything works out for you and you get your miracle baby soon.

I have a crazy diagnosis (half a uterus and PCOS, hypothyroid) and many said I would never become pregnant, much less ever carry a baby full term. I was at the very, very bottom of the barrel. Tears were always at the surface and thinking it was impossible for it to ever happen. Many had no hope for me and so how could I have any?

I know it feels suffocating. If you feel like you are destined to be a mom, HOLD ONTO THAT.

I truly hope you receive your heart's desire. Keep hoping.