Thursday, April 9, 2009

I'm about to throw up or freak out.

I don’t ever talk about work but right now I have to.

I work in a small marketing department for a construction equipment distributor. I am currently a contract employee and have been with this company going on a year this Tuesday. This job has given me a lot of advantages and experiences that no other job has provided me. A few months ago our company realigned the organization. In a meeting with the marketing department a couple of months back we were told that it wouldn’t be a bad thing to have our resumes up-to-date. They didn’t know if any lay-offs were happening but if they did they would probably be in the next 60 days. The 60 day mark is next Friday, the 17th. I was told in this meeting by my bosses’ boss that I’m the one who is most vulnerable since I am a contract employee. (Honestly, I think that is a bad move as they don’t pay me any benefits, I get no vacation or holiday time and they don’t have to match 401k. I also know my pay is under what they would normally pay a direct hire.)

Today, I receive an e-mail from my manager with a project. This is the type of project that I’ve never had to do and quite frankly isn’t something I care to do but will do it as I’m lucky to have a job. At the end of the e-mail she ended it with “This is good “resume” stuff…”

What would be your thought be if you received this in an email from your manager??

Here I am the day before my D&C and we’re leaving for our cruise in 15 days.

2 comments:

A n T said...

I wouldn't take it as a bad thing. Somethings are just not the norm what you would do so sometimes you will hear this will be a good bullet to add to your resume for the future. I would look at it as an advantage to be able to add something new to my resume to help me when I'm ready to leave there.

Hillary said...

Yes, she might have said that totally off-hand! Try not to worry -- just enjoy your vacation!!