Tuesday, August 4, 2009

I need your help/advice!

I posted this on the TTTC board that I visit...mostly lurk...and honestly I didn't get many responses. I thought I would post on here to get your thoughts as I'm at a loss on what direction I should pull for.

I need some help. My H and I are faced with a dilemma and I need some input to help us make a decision.

I had my first IUI in February. I had a BFP but it turned out that I had a blighted ovum and had a D&C in April. We did our second IUI in June which also turned into a BFP. Two and a half weeks ago I had emergency laparoscopic surgery and a D&C to remove an ectopic pregnancy. My RE had to remove my right tube.

After surgery he has said to us three times that I can remember that he would recommend us moving onto IVF. His reasons were 1. He couldn’t see my left tube so he doesn’t know how healthy it is and 2. Now that I’ve had one ectopic my chances of having another ectopic with IUI is now at 20% while doing IVF my chance would go down to 1%.

We’re considering going against my doctors recommendation and doing another IUI instead of IVF right now. Here are my reasons:

1. My H and I have done some research and found many success stories of pregnancies with only one tube and did not need IVF.
2. Our insurance does not cover IVF.
3. Our deposit to our RE would be $10,250 and that does not guarantee it would cover everything and we’d also be OOP for meds.
5. We’re nowhere near having that amount of money. We’d have to save for years.
4. Our insurance will cover 4 more IUIs and the medicines that go along with it.
5. With either option I still have the chance of an ectopic pregnancy. One is just a little higher than the other.

6. If I were to lose the second tube during IUI (hopefully not!) then I could still move on to IVF. (From what I have read and I intend to check with my RE)

After much thinking, crying and talking I really need to consider the 80% chance that it won’t happen again. We plan on setting up a meeting with our RE in the next month or so to talk about what direction we want to head. I just want to go into this meeting with the knowledge I need to convince him that we’re okay with the 20% chance.

So if you have any advice, opinions or just comments in general I would appreciate it. My head and heart are scattered with feelings, emotions and thoughts and it is hard to tell what I should listen to and what I shouldn’t.

5 comments:

A n T said...

I don't have much experience with IUI's since I skipped them and went straight to IVF because of my Endo. But if they are working for you I guess it wouldn't hurt to try again that way. However, I do respect Dr. S opinion because I know he does have his patients best interest in mind...but if the cash isn't there...it just isn't there. KWIM?

Hillary said...

Hmm...that's a tough situtation! I wish I had more advice but I can see how difficult it is.

If you're comfortable with the risks -- which it sounds like you are -- doing more IUI's might be good. IUI's have been really successful in getting you pg, and you don't have to pay the $$. If the horrible situation of another ectopic happened, I guess you would be left with IVF as you only option -- which is what you are debating right now, anyway. My only concern is that an ectopic pregnancy can be life threatening, right? So there is a risk...

Sorry the decision has to be so difficult :(

smith said...

I would suggest doing another IUI. You only have a 20% chance of having another ectopic pregnancy and an 80% of not having an ectopic pregnancy. Your chance of NOT having another ectopic pregnancy is a lot higher than your changes of having an ectopic pregnancy. If by chance you do have another ectopic pregnancy then you really are not going to be in any worse shape than you already are with the option to do IVF. They always say that 3rd time is a charm; I say go for another IUI! I also went to Dr. Slayden and was not successful with our 1st IUI and got pregnant with the 2nd IUI. I am currently 8 weeks pregnant with twins! Also my HSG test showed that my left tube was blocked. I think that you have a GREAT chance of successfully getting pregnant with only 1 tube! I say GO FOR IT! =) Good luck and best wishes!

TheDales said...

I really appreciate everyone’s kind words.

T - I agree. This is why this is such a hard decision. How do I go against a doctor’s recommendation who I fully trust?

Hillary - Life threatening it is. It's so hard to over look that fact.

Smith - It's so great to hear of a success story for anyone suffering from IF...even better a success story from one of Dr. S's patients! It makes me so thrilled to hear that!

Thank you all for your input – You girls are truly a blessing, your words are always so uplifting and always help me smile!

Anonymous said...

Hi there,

I was also a patient of Dr. S's and only have one tube that works. IUI's didn't work for me, but I did end up getting pregnant last year on my own with the help of some meds with just my one tube. It took me longer, but we did it!

It can be done with one tube!