Tuesday, August 25, 2009

IF Sadness

I’ve been a bad blogger and I realize I am way overdue for a real blog post. My life has been very boring. I’ve had trouble coming up with something to blog about. Honestly though, I’ve tried to stay away from reading blogs and message boards. I feel like they fuel the baby wanting fire. But the past couple of days I have been lurking a little bit more. Only because I’ve asked my husband to call our RE next week and speak to him about his thoughts on another IUI instead of IVF for now. But that is a totally different post for another day and time.

Before I did both IUI’s I was never sad about the position we were in. I didn’t cry. I took everything in stride. I used to read posts about being upset about other BFP announcements and think to myself “I’ll never be that kind of girl.” I never truly felt the sadness that IF brings. This year that has brought me pain and heartaches. I find myself jealous of the couples who can afford IVF. I completely understand what a terrible thought that is – but I can’t seem to shake it. I opened a Halloween costume magazine last night and the first page were babies in costumes. I closed the magazine immediately. The other night at dinner I saw a girl I went to high school with and couldn’t help but notice how visibly pregnant she is. My husband didn’t understand why this affected me. But it did. My co-workers 19 year old daughter brought her 4 month old baby into the office the other day. I couldn’t even look and aww at the beautiful baby boy.

On Saturday we decided to do a date night and go to a movie and then dinner – exactly what we did on our first date. I realized while getting dressed that this last loss combined with the fact that we may never be able to do what our doctor recommends has completely taken a toll on my self esteem and I didn’t even realize it until right then. I hated the way a brand new shirt looked on me. I realized that I had put on a few pounds since the ectopic and it’s really affecting the way that I Iook at myself in the mirror. So this put a tail spin on my mood that eventually put my husband in a foul mood.

I don’t know how to move past these feelings…but I’ve got to do it.

On another note…My best friend’s baby shower is this weekend and I wouldn’t miss it for the world but I’m so afraid of being asked these two questions while I am there… “Do you have any children?” and “When are you going to have children?”

What do you do when you get these questions? I’m finding myself getting these questions more and more.

2 comments:

A n T said...

(((hugs))) Believe me...I know how hard it is. The questions are hard. Depends on the person and my mood. Sometimes I would say we're working on it. Sometimes I would say we're infertile to shut them up. But then at times neither of them work and people wnat to offer their dumb advice and say oh stop trying so hard or it will happen and I let lose on them and say, well actually we've been trying for 5.5 years and have had 2 miscarriages and so many surgeries so it doens't happen as easily for us as it does anyone else and that normally helps to shut them up.

(((hugs)))

Hillary said...

Isn't it crazy how the IF sadness can overcome you in an instant? I have been in a bit of a funk myself. I'm sorry you've had such a rough time lately :(

As to the "when are you going to have kids?" question, it depends on the person and situation. If it was a random person at a shower, I would just be really vague and say, "we're trying o figure that out." I hope the shower isn't too painful!