Friday, November 13, 2009

IUI #5…bring it on!!

After AF arrived basically right at 14 dpIUI on the dot yesterday I met my H for lunch where we discussed what we wanted to do. A decision had to be made right then because if we were going to do it then I had to have my CD3 ultrasound today. We decided since it will be free except for the co-pays for the medicines we really should not pass up this opportunity.

After talking with my RE for 20 minutes he finally okayed us for another IUI this year. His first recommendation was for us to take a break for a couple of months and then start back with an IUI with Femera and Follistim. He was concerned about our emotional well being. (Which FYI…Infertility and our medical conditions this year have only made my husband stronger and more united as a couple. No need to worry about us in this department.) All I had to explain to him was that for this year we have met our OOP max and his tone completely changed. He 100% understood why we were okay with doing our 5th IUI now instead of waiting. Our bank account, with this economy, really rules the roost these days.

We spoke about the different medicines we could try since Clomid is no longer an option since it was thinning my lining. We did speak about the nature of multiples and if we got down to the IUI and I had an excessive amount of follies what my H and I would like to do. And honestly. We don’t know what we would do. We’ve always said it would be one of those wait until we get there and then we’ll worry about it. He strongly urged we talk about it because if I were to have more than 6 follies his recommendation will be to cancel the cycle. I thought about it on my way home from work yesterday and the way that I view things is that I don’t have a tube on my right side. I have an extremely hard time believing that I have the kind of luck for the eggs released from my right side will travel to the left. (Have you seen my luck this year?? Come on people!) So say the situation were that I had a couple on my left ovary but 6 on my right – I would still want to do the IUI. But if the situation were reversed then yes, we’d have a huge decision to make.

We settled on 75 IU’s on Follistim only since we have such great insurance coverage.

I went in this morning for my CD2 ultrasound and they found one small cyst. My nurse told me it shouldn’t be a problem. She then showed me how the pen works for the Follistim. I really wished my H would have been here to learn how it all works as he will be the one poking me every evening. Then she dropped the bombshell of how many times I have to come in for ultrasounds and blood work! Holy Moly! Starting Tuesday I have to go in every day…wow. So this throws my entire work schedule into a tizzy.

My nurse just called and said that my estradiol level was at 81 and slightly on the high side but the cyst should be going away on it’s on so no need to worry. I’m currently googling estradiol levels because I’m not one hundred percent sure what it all means. She also said she spoke to my RE and he wanted to up the dosage of Follistim to 100 IU’s. So I’ll get about 4 doses from the vile.

So here we go…I stim for the first time tomorrow night right before we leave to go to dinner for our 2 year anniversary. It’s so funny how this new protocol seems to have given my attitude and hope the lift it needed! Can’t wait!!!!

4 comments:

Hillary said...

Glad the new protocol has given you some extra hope for the cycle!! And that is so wonderful that most everything will be paid for by insurance!

A n T said...

WooHOO IUI#5 here we come! To start a stim cycle they like your E2 number to be 75 or below. So you were very close which is why they let you keep going. Would switching to an IVF cycle be an option if you get too many follicles??

TheDales said...

T - I wish we could afford to convert the cycle to IVF if I did produce too many follies (As this is what Dr. S really wanted us to do.) but we just don't have that kind of money.

A n T said...

I see. Well hoping and praying this cycle works out just perfect!